A World of Curiosities: Surprising, Interesting, and Downright Unbelievable Facts from Every Nation on the Planet
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe: everything you never knew you never knew about every country on Earth.A scientist by training and an explorer by passion, Dr. John Oldale has logged half a million miles visiting more than ninety nations. Now, he celebrates our weird and wonderful world in a cornucopia of fascinating facts brought vividly to life through the unexpected stories behind them. Touching on history, travel, politics, natural history and more, he paints a unique portrait of each country from the mightiest to the most miniscule. You won’t find the following in your average travel guide:
· Why is kissing on trains banned in France?
· In what country are litigants expected to present their case at court in the form of a poem?
· Which war did women win in 1929 just by sitting down?
· If Panama hats aren’t from Panama, where are they from?
· Who eat fresh camel dung as a cure for dysentery (and why does it work)?
· Why were US disk jockeys once told they could play birthday requests on any day except the one requested?
· Which modern dictator banned old age, libraries and gold teeth, and was later replaced by his dentist?
· And 2,000 more funny, trivial, poignant, and telling facts
A must for active and armchair globe-trotters alike, A World of Curiosities will engross anyone who is at all curious about the world beyond their door. Explore and enjoy.